The Department of Zoology offers online sections for three of our core undergraduate courses: ZOL/PLB 355 (Ecology), ZOL/PLB 341 (Fundamental Genetics) and ZOL 402 (Neurobiology).
Following is a video sampler of what students can expect from these courses. (requires Apple Quicktime)
Check the bottom of this page for comments from students talking about their experience in ZOL 355.
Here are some screenshots from the Genetics course:
Why online courses?
Online teaching has become increasingly widespread at American universities. However, far from merely jumping on the bandwagon, we have given serious thought to the question of how the educational experiences we offer our students can be advanced by offering online sections of our courses. We see three arguments in favor of offering online sections:
- Online sections increase the array of options available to students, hence serving the needs of students who prefer this learning format or find it more convenient when they need to take a course during the summer.
- Opening up summer online sections for those students who prefer them could reduce enrollments (class sizes) in the classroom sections of these same courses offered during the academic year.
- Online courses, done properly, exploit web-based and multimedia tools that can be used to enrich the learning experience in classroom sections, thus leading to an overall improvement in the curriculum.
Regardless of delivery method (classroom or online), our paramount concern is to provide a learning experience that is scientifically rigorous and gives students opportunities for intellectual engagement.
Instructor for ZOL/PLB 355: Dr. Stephen Thomas (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Instructor for ZOL/PLB 341: Dr. April Harlin-Cognato (email@example.com
Instructor for ZOL 402: Dr. Lynwood Clemens (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- "I really enjoyed this course- it was my first online class that I have had to take, and was extremely nervous about the organization. The professor and both TA's were extremely organized and prompt about responding to e-mails. The organization was amazing- I wish most classes were like this!"
- No suggestions I loved the course thought it was one of the best online course I'd ever taken I would recommend this course to anyone!!
- Dr. Thomas did a GREAT GREAT job with this course. I feel like I learned a ton. He gave many different types of presentations, so there was always one of them each week that fit my learning style (i really liked the animations) Also, the powerpoints were great to follow. No problems. This course was organized very well. Dr, Thomas was always available if I had questions, and he would even post other links for optional material, which most of the time I found very interesting. He went above and beyond in this course.